In theory, bargaining starts. But usually news comes right away.
hello folks, I have a special bonus, with Perks chipping in a rundown of potential free agent targets for the Warriors. So please move any fresh comments over there, and we'll make that the open thread for Free Agency Day 1.
Is GP2 really going to Portland?
With KD preferring PHX they could sign and trade Ayton to a max without getting hard capped. That is excellent stuff from PHX if they pull this off
Kevin Durant has requested a trade out of Brooklyn
"Luka's similar to LeBron offensively in that he is the system. A player that can create his own shot can get frustrated playing w/ LeBron or Luka. I'm not surprised Brunson's camp made the comment. Luka's independently great, regardless of a guy like Brunson."
Brett Brown has agreed to return to San Antonio to join Gregg Popovich's staff as an assistant coach, sources tell ESPN. Brown spent 2007-2013 on Popovich's staff before becoming the 76ers coach. They’ve maintained a close relationship.
Victor Oladipo would be a good fit for Phoenix but hearing he wants to go somewhere where he can start and that he likely will command in the $10 million range, which in all likelihood puts him out of reach as a free agent for the Suns, who will have the $6.5 taxpayer exception.
Just listened to +/- wit TK, MT2, and AS.
This was their consensus:
(1) Looney top priority, most likely contract the Zubac: $33M/3 yrs, because best market offer is at most full MLE. There's a small possibility they ask him to check on the market for 24h before offering, just to see if he only gets $6M/yr, they can offer $9M/yr, and all parties happy.
(2) GP2 @ just over TPMLE. has to be second priority, as inability to sign Looney makes GP2 much more urgent, or saved money on Loon can go to GP2. So, total combined for these two:$17M.
(3) OPJ not going to be signed if Loon and GP2 get signed.
(4) 15th roster spot is most likely vacant, waiting on Andre. This allows them to have a camp competition like last year's AB vs. GP2. This allows them to promise it to their 2-ways during the season as incentive. And gives them flexibility in case of injury or unexpected need.
(5) MM, Kuminga, Wise will all see increased minutes, and play A LOT. They become the effective 8,9,10 rotation spots.
(6) That leaves two roster spots open for 3rd stringers. Most likely: stretch 4/5 (probably Bjeli), and wing/perimeter ballandler (backup PG, Gary Harris?). True backup C very unlikely (minutes to Wise + stretch 4 + Kuminga). Backup PG minutes will go to Poole + Rollins(so wing who can handle if needed like Andre preferred over straight backup PG).
(7) Names bandied about. Gary Harris (a lot). Noel if bought out (for Bjeli spot). Gallinari (for either spot), Delon Wright. McAdoo.
(8) QW most likely fit for second 2-way, and the Dubs really like him, and may give decent minutes throughout the season, giving him the Wiggs defensive assignments.
(9) Wiggs/Poole extension talks have not yet begun. No numbers exchanged yet. Wiggs might get extended for some savings under max. Very possible that Poole and Dubs both decide to not extend and see what Poole can get on the market, then decide whether to match.
(10) MT2 thinks Wiggs could make a big jump next year.
(11) AS thinks JP will have a big year. TK thinks they can't pay Poole the max. This may be the year JP plays himself off the roster. Slater/MT2 think Poole's money may come from Klay, asking him to take a big cut or letting him walk.
espn.com has a buzzfeed style quiz -- which NBA team should you be the GM of? My answers got me .... you guessed it. If you'd like to try and report your results, it takes about a minute: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34168434/nba-free-agency-2022-which-front-office-run-take-our-quiz
Un mensaje para JTA: lo siento mucho, compañero, así son los negocios. Pero tu quedaras siempre en nuestros corazones. Hasta siempre, comandante JTA.
Rumor: ATL trying to expand Dejounte deal to include Huerter to a third team. Speculation around Boston wanting Gallo (but also some Huerter hypotheticals).
Note: ESPY voting is still active and you can vote once per day: https://www.espn.com/espys/story/_/page/voting-best-nba/espys-2022-best-nba-player
(Several other Warriors awards you can vote for too)
Heat not meeting Brunson now?
I think that GP is not pursuing full mid-level. It's not 2 mln that make the difference.
I think he's pursuing a lineup. In that scenario, I can't blame him. Fun fact, if he goes to Charlotte, MF Oubre that didn't want to sit for Klay, will sit for GP.
Fischer said yesterday:
> Golden State is hopeful to retain Gary Payton II, sources said, but a suitor that offers the full mid-level could pry him free.
> If the numbers are close, he’ll go back to the Warriors ... Detroit and Charlotte are teams to look out for”
Detroit being mentioned is the first time I've gotten a bit nervous about this ordeal. They have a ton of cap space and might be looking to do something stupid with it.
Happy free agency day! (Unless you're a Hornets fan).